Welcome to the fifty-fifth edition of the #FOAMed Review! The idea of the FOAMed review is to give you a digestible selection of reliable content from the online EM/CC world that you can fit into your busy weekly schedule. Each review will include highlights from the highest yield blog, podcast, video and web sources around. Over a year's span we will be sure to include topics from all core EM content areas...even the ones that may not be the coolest. Check out our indexing section #FOAMED REVIEW which allows you to view previous weekly reviews by edition or by selecting from CORD curriculum categories.
Onto the FOAMed
REGIONAL WALL MOTION ABNORMALITIES [VIDEOCAST]:
EM/CC LITERATURE OF INTEREST
- Community-Acquired Pneumonia Requiring Hospitalization among U.S. Adults.
- Ultrasound guided distal peripheral nerve block of the upper limb: A technical review
Free Access: Article
- Six Months vs Extended Oral Anticoagulation After a First Episode of Pulmonary Embolism: The PADIS-PE Randomized Clinical Trial
- Risk for Clinically Relevant Adverse Cardiac Events in Patients With Chest Pain at Hospital Admission
- A novel, simple method for achieving hemostasis of fingertip dermal avulsion injuries
LET'S BE BLUNT ABOUT ED THORACOTOMY [BLOG]: St. Emlyn's Blog reviews the new EAST guidelines regarding the ED thoracotomy. While it can be a life saving procedure, make sure your intentions are honorable. Read on here.
THE FEBRILE CHILD
THE CHALLENGE OF FEVER IN KIDS [BLOG]: Pediatric fever in the ED can be difficult and frustrating. Rebel EM brings us some pearls to managing both the patient, as well as parents expectations.
TO CLEAN OR NOT TO CLEAN
AN EVIDENCE BASED APPROACH TO WOUND IRRIGATION [BLOG]: EM Docs explores the evidence and techniques surrounding modern wound irrigation.
CRITICAL CARE MYTHBUSTING
DOES CENTRAL LINE POSITION MATTER? [BLOG]: Does your central line really need to lie in the lower portion of the superior vena cava? PulmCrit explores the evidence behind this previously held belief. Check it out here.
CALCIUM CHANNEL BLOCKER OVERDOSE [BLOG]: First10EM with an excellent guide to the initial management of calcium channel blocker overdose in the ED.